Eschew Obfuscation

Eschew Obfuscation. Two words, bold white letters, light blue background. I saw them on a poster while studying in my high school library.

Eschew I thought I knew; obfuscation was unclear. Ever inquisitive, I looked it up in the dictionary. Thirty years later, I have forgotten neither it nor the ironic library poster.

In an effort to eschew obfuscation, then, let me be perfectly clear: the key to Christianity is found in your honest answer to this question, “Who is Jesus, and how will I respond to him?”

Jesus is a universally admired figure. Virtually every religion or spiritual belief system acknowledges his life and teachings. Many consider him a prophet, a visionary, a great teacher, a worthy example.

Christians acknowledge these things. But we go a significant step further: we believe Jesus was God Incarnate.

Jesus was unique in all history: no one like him before or since. He was fully human and fully divine. He died, was buried, rose from the dead, is still alive, and will someday return to assume his rightful place as Lord of the Universe.

Admittedly, these are outlandish claims. If they are true, they set Christianity apart from every other faith system. If they are not true, Christianity is a farce. “If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith” (1 Corinthians 15:14).

That is why the stakes are so high. Whatever your religious persuasion, the person of Jesus deserves your honest investigation. Was he, as Christians believe, God clothed in human flesh?

If Jesus was God, then by definition, he is worthy of your worship. Put aside your pride, your doubts, and your fears. Surrender to him, receive his forgiveness, and commit your life to him. Make it your life’s ambition to love him, know him, and follow him.

If he was not God, if he was merely a good example, or a moral teacher, then Christianity is a fraudulent faith. It’s as simple as that.

Let’s take it a step further. Many people mistakenly assume that simply acknowledging the deity of Jesus is adequate. They readily admit, “I believe Jesus is the Son of God,” not realizing that in the Bible, even demons acknowledge this fact (Mark 1:24, for example). Obviously, Jesus deserves more from us than mental assent.

Christianity is not merely a belief to which we adhere. Instead, Christianity is a relationship to which we commit. At its heart, Christianity is a love story. It is surprisingly similar to the courtship between a man and woman. Jesus is the Groom. We are the Bride. He has proposed to us. How will we respond?

For my part, everything I know about Jesus encourages me to trust him for those things I do not understand. He has invited me into a relationship which I can enjoy now and forever.

My response is simple, succinct and sincere. Eschewing obfuscation, I say "I Do."

“Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.” (Revelation 19:7-8).