Mercy and Grace (Luke 18)

Journey with Jesus to the Cross (Tuesday, April 5)
Read Luke 18 

A vital theme runs through today’s reading. We dare not miss it:

Those who cast themselves on the mercy of Jesus 
find salvation, blessing and wholeness; 
but those who rely on their own good deeds 
find judgment and rejection. 

This truth is graphically illustrated by the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector (9-14), and tragically demonstrated in Jesus' conversation with a rich ruler (18-30). In each case, these very good men made the fatal mistake of relying on their good deeds to earn God's favor.

This may be the essence of Religion; but it is the antithesis of the Christianity. 

Like the rich ruler, Religion asks, 
“What must I do to inherit eternal life?” 
Like the misguided Pharisee, Religion says, 
“God I thank you that I am not like other men.” 
(18:18, 11)

In each case, though sincere, their religion misses the mark, and they are turned away. 

On the other hand, the attitude of the tax collector — echoed as well by the children (15-17) and the blind man (35-43) — illustrates the essence of Christianity. Utterly aware of our waywardness, we cast ourselves fully upon the mercy of God.

Like the tax collector, true Christianity says, 
“God, be merciful to me, a sinner”
Like the children, true Christianity is something we 
“receive … like a child”
Like the blind beggar, true Christianity cries out, 
“Jesus, have mercy on me!”
(18:13, 17, 38)

All of this challenges us to take stock of our own lives. Are we relying on our behavior to merit God’s approval? If so, we are making a huge mistake. For salvation is not a reward to achieve by good behavior; it is a gift of grace to be received by faith. 

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. 
And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 
not a result of works, so that no one may boast" 
(Ephesians 2:8-9)

Let us repent of our pride and cast ourselves on God's mercy. Let us place our trust in Jesus, whose death and resurrection purchased our salvation. And when we do ...

Like the blind man, we will receive sight 
Like the tax collector, we will be justified, and
Like the children, we will enter the kingdom of God. 

“Lord, thank you for loving me enough to die for me. 
Like the little children, I want to receive the kingdom of God. 
Like the beggar and the tax collector, I place my faith in you to be the forgiver of my sins and the ruler of my life. Teach me what it means to follow you.”