Riverboats and Kayaks

In her forward to the book Future Church, Sally Morganthaler wrote:

Many of us launched our boats on the Mississippi of church growth in the past two decades. We dutifully set them afloat in the world of big and simple. We followed those who had built massive riverboats, along with the equally massive paddlewheels of programs to propel them. But the landscape shifted beneath our feet. From big and simple, we entered the postmodern topography of small and complex, transforming American culture from homogeneous demographies, seeker-believer compartments, easy answers, and fill in the blanks to diverse neighborhoods, ubiquitous spirituality, paradox, and tell-me-your-story. The boats we need now are kayaks, but having spent our ministry years building and operating riverboats, some of us find ourselves not only up a creek without a paddle but without the expertise to use one if it were handed to us.

I've thought a lot about these words, having cut my own ministry teeth on the massive paddlewheelers Morgenthaler describes. Now I too find myself up a creek without a paddle. Meanwhile the riverboats pass me by and wave. Many of my compadres have opted for the riverboat life. After all, when you're a passenger, riverboat life is a lot easier. Why bother with the dangers inherent in the kayak?

I believe in the kayak. The riverboat may be effective in amusing the masses, but what about those shipwrecked in the nooks and crannies of an ever-dangerous cultural current? Those outside the scope of the wide berth required by the paddlewheeler? Those who would never feel comfortable boarding via the whitewashed docks of corporate church?

So, yes, while the paddlewheelers float by I'm kayaking around nooks and crannies. I wish some of those who are safe and sound on these behemoths would join my adventure. But I can't worry about that. There are too many people with real spiritual hunger who don't really care about the bells and whistles on the riverboats. They just want a safe place to explore spirituality from a Christian perspective.

And I intend to see that they get it.