Cycling Spirituality

Yes, I'm one of those guys in tight shorts on a bike. You know, the kind that irritates you on the road? That’s me.

One day, for example, I was pedaling toward Bartlett Lake when something crashed against the back of my helmet. I nearly fell off my bike!

Catching myself, I saw a chunk of ice bouncing on the road. I guess the driver thought it would be fun to see if he could hit me. If he knew how close he came to causing an accident, he'd probably think twice before doing it again. Or not.

I don’t know why cyclists irritate motorists. I suppose it’s because we get in your way. Trust me, if you’ve ever had to change a tire while cycling you’d know why we tend to gravitate away from the rocky edges. Or maybe you’re just jealous of our good looks.

In any case, I've been honked at, sworn at, and, now, thrown at. At least I haven't been spat at. Yet.

I began cycling a few years ago at the invitation of a friend from our church. Dragging myself out of bed for our first ride, I dreaded the thought of sore hindquarters and empty lungs.

Both fears came true, but I was hooked. Part of it was the companionship. But I also enjoyed the freedom of the open road, the joy of accomplishment, and the improvement I noted in each passing ride.

Alas, the summer of our bike content was about to end. My friend got a new job and since I had been riding his second bike, I was left without wheels. It was time to spend some of my own money on my new obsession.

My first venture into a real cycling shop was a little overwhelming. I wasn’t sure if I belonged or not, being a "newbie" and all. Some shops made me feel very uncomfortable, especially when my ignorance became apparent. Others just seemed eager to make a sale.

Then there was our local bike shop, Flat Tire Bikes. It was there I met Kaolen, whose enthusiasm in helping a new rider get his first set of wheels was contagious.

“It’s like a religion,” he said, not realizing my profession. He patiently answered my questions, never making me feel foolish.

I could tell that Kaolen was more interested in finding the perfect bike for me than he was in merely making a sale. Needless to say, that’s where I bought my bike.

My experience with bike shops got me thinking about Christians and the way we appear to others. Do we have a welcoming approach to those who are unfamiliar with religious slang? Do we have a natural enthusiasm for Jesus that others find contagious?

Do people feel like we’re just trying to “sell” Jesus, or do they sense that we sincerely care about them and their spiritual needs?

Perhaps if we did, there’d be less inclination for people to do their spiritual shopping elsewhere.