Missing Jesus

I’d like to introduce you to some fascinating folks. I wonder if you can recognize them.

These people are fanatical about living a good life. Models of personal purity, and careful to live above reproach, they are among the most respected persons in the community. They’re honest, hardworking, and conscientious.

They take their spirituality very seriously. They are scrupulous about attendance at religious events. They give generously. They fast regularly. They pray faithfully.

They have the utmost regard for scripture. They study it, memorize it, and conscientiously seek to apply it to their lives. They frequently gather to discuss its meaning and its application to their lives.

Do you recognize them? Are they Christians? Are they Mormons? Are the Muslims? No. None of the above. They are Pharisees.

Are you surprised?

Pharisees were one of the most prominent religious sects in Jesus’ day. They were precisely as I described them, distinguished from their peers by their religious sincerity, their personal purity, and their high regard for Scripture. They were considered by many to be the most “on-target” religious group of their day.

Which brings to mind a thought-provoking question: How is it that they missed – even rejected – Jesus?

After all, they were actively looking for the Messiah. They prayed regularly for his arrival. Why didn’t they recognize him when he came? Why did they miss the very one for whom they were waiting?

Among other things, they missed Jesus because they were more committed to their notions about God than they were to God himself. Their view of God was so rigidly defined that when God acted outside the box they rejected him.

Their belief system, intended to shield the truth from heresy, was so deeply entrenched that, of all things, it shielded them from truth. Their spiritual pride led to spiritual blindness.

When John the Baptizer began to preach near the Jordan River, he carried an astounding and troubling message. He claimed that the long-awaited Messiah was about to be revealed -- this was the good news. But he also claimed that the people of God were not ready for his coming. This was the bad news.

He called the people to repent, and thus to prepare their hearts for the coming of the Messiah. In an unprecedented move, he asked good, upstanding people to be baptized as a symbol of their humility and faith. Pharisees scoffed at the idea. Any suggestion that they were not prepared for the Messiah’s arrival was, to them, preposterous.

We are in the season of Advent. For fifteen centuries, it was assumed by the church that a time of preparation and repentance was needed in order for believers to sincerely and joyfully open their hearts to Jesus. Like the deep cleaning our homes receive before the arrival of important guests, Advent was a time for spiritual cleansing.

Nowadays, many churches skip over all that. We assume (as did the Pharisees?) that our hearts are already fully open to God, and that penitence is not necessary.

Speaking for myself, I am not so sure. Like the Grinch, I sense that my heart is often two sizes too small. I’m consumed with myself, my family, my agenda, my career, my convictions – my, my, my! Is it any wonder I am easily baited to buy the latest greatest toy every holiday season?

Frankly, the spiritual blindness among such well-intentioned people as the first century Pharisees frightens me. I don’t want to repeat their mistake.

After all, this Christmas, I don’t want to miss Jesus.