Pray Desperately (Luke 11:1-28)

Journey with Jesus to the Cross  -- Thursday, March 23
Read Luke 11:1-28

“Lord, teach us to pray.” 

The disciples’ request reveals that there was something special in the way Jesus prayed. What was it about Jesus’ prayer that made theirs seem shallow in comparison? We don’t know. But clearly, the disciples saw qualities in Jesus’ prayer which made their own seem shallow by comparison.

In response, Jesus taught them the prayer we now call The Lord’s Prayer. In the early centuries of the church, this prayer was prayed verbatim at least three times a day. No doubt, we would do well to do the same. 

You might try it today, or throughout this week. Say it slowly, thoughtfully, prayerfully at morning, noon and night. Reflect on each phrase. It is one of the best ways available to grow in your own prayer life. Personally, I pray it every morning as part of my daily worship. I commend it to you.

Whereas in the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus invites us to come to God as our Father (1-4), in the next parable, we are encouraged to come to God as our Friend (5-13).

In this story, a man is unable to serve an unexpected houseguest. Despite the late hour, he begs his friend for bread. Although he does not want to be disturbed, the friend finally responds simply because the man will not give up. Jesus then tells us the point: keep on asking; keep on seeking; keep on knocking. Don’t give up. Be persistent — even impudent — when you pray.

We often trip on this odd little story. Remember, it is simply a parable. Its point is not to teach us something about God, but rather to teach us something about ourselves: Keep on asking; Keep on seeking; Keep on knocking. Jesus is not saying God is unwilling to answer our prayers. In fact, he suggests that our Father is even more willing to give than we are to ask (13).

Then what is going on in this parable? The key is to understand Middle Eastern hospitality. Jesus’ listeners would have immediately identified with the man’s plight. A breach of hospitality is a serious shame to a family.

What would motivate a man to pester his friend in the middle of the night? Desperation. He is desperate for help. He doesn’t know what else to do, where else to go. He persistently pleads with his friend to help him. Our problem, Jesus says, is that we are not desperate enough to pray boldly.

I was a college student during the gas crisis of the late 1970’s. On a last-minute whim, I decided to travel home from California to Arizona for a few days. (Young love!) My ’66 Mustang was low on gas, but I assumed I’d stop somewhere soon to fill up. I was wrong. Every gas station was closed. After I’d traveled nearly an hour down the road, I realized I was in a really bad situation. I did not have enough gas to return home. Nor did I have enough to reach my destination. I would be stranded over night if I didn't think of something soon.

I was desperate. Suddenly, an outrageous idea popped into my head. Sometime earlier, Donna and I had visited a childhood friend of hers who now lived in Yucaipa. I had only met them once. I didn’t know where they lived, but I thought I knew what church they attended. As this was a Sunday evening, I hoped against hope I could locate them at church, or find someone who knew them.

Sneaking into the back of the church, I looked around. They were nowhere to be found. Finally, the service dismissed, I was able to find someone who knew them and could tell me where they lived. Like a vagabond, I showed up uninvited to their door. When the mother answered, I quickly re-introduced myself, panicking for a moment until, at last, a look of recognition crossed her face. They provided me lodging for the night, and I was on my way the next morning.

What would cause a 19-year-old kid to show up uninvited at the door of a family he hardly knew, begging to stay the night? Desperation. Pure and simple. I had no other option. I was willing to do whatever was necessary to avoid sleeping in my car in an obscure parking lot. My desperate situation led me to make a bold request.

Now I’m beginning to understand Jesus’ story. Only when we truly see the depth of our need will we persistently seek the one who loves to give good gifts to his children. The key to persistent, bold prayer, is to realize that, on the one hand, our situation is utterly desperate; but that on the other hand, our Friend and Father is able and willing to supply all our needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:19).

“Lord, make me desperate for you. Break through my false illusions of self-sufficiency. Help me to see how desperately I need you, but also how willing you are meet my needs in prayer.”