Holy Week (Luke 22-23)

Journey with Jesus to the Cross (Saturday, April 9)
Read Luke 22:1 through 23:49

Today is Saturday, the day before Holy Week begins. In preparation for this, I’m suggesting you read the entire Passion narrative in one sitting: Luke 22:1 through 23:49. It includes the Last Supper, the Arrest, the Trial, and the Execution of Jesus.

If you’ve not read it already, take some time to immerse yourself in the story. Read it rapidly, absorbing the overall dramatic flow. We’ll take time in the next week to study many of its details. For now, let’s just let the story wash over us.

What do we see when we read the picture as a whole?  I was struck by the inexcusable injustice of Jesus' conviction and crucifixion. Although guiltless, he suffered at the hands of the guilty. Betrayed by his friend, and brought before the council, he was not going to get justice. This was not a trial; it was a lynching. Jesus deserved better than that. He was the ultimate innocent victim.

Pilate knows these are trumped-up charges. He wants to release Jesus, but for political expediency, he allows him to be condemned. What difference did it make? He was just another unfortunate Jew. No one would notice. Was he ever wrong about that!

Just in case we missed the miscarriage of justice, Luke reminds us of the fact through the words of the thief on the cross, who says, “…we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong” (23:41). Truly.

We also see the Jesus' incomparable compassion throughout the story. While predicting Peter’s denial, he offers these compassionate words: “Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers” (22:31f). What if Jesus had not upheld Peter in prayer?

We see his compassion in the healing of the Roman soldier’s ear. We see it in his words to the faithful women at the cross: “Do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children” (23:28). And we see it overwhelmingly expressed in the words, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (23:34).

In stark contrast to this, we see the incredible self-centeredness of Jesus’ disciples. It starts with Judas, of course, who betrayed his master and friend to the religious authorities.

The rest of the disciples did not fare much better. No sooner had Jesus instituted the Last Supper, but the disciples are arguing among themselves about where they fit in the religious pecking order. What a contrast between the self-giving love of Jesus and the self-serving concerns of his hand-picked leadership team!

And of course, there’s Peter, whose promised faithfulness to Jesus is soon eclipsed by his bald denial. Three times he fails to acknowledge his master; three times he forces Jesus to stand alone; and the third time, a rooster punctuates Peter’s words with a cackling of his own. Luke tells us that, at this, “the Lord turned and looked at Peter.” What a look that must have been! I shudder to imagine it.

Add to this their shallow prayerfulness, their inept defense of Jesus, and their frantic abandonment of him in his time of need, and the portrait is complete. With friends like these…. The fact that these men became the primary pillars of God’s new community is testimony to the redeeming grace of God.

I identify with these men, don’t you? I find myself making promises to Jesus that I do not keep. I find myself clueless and confused, just like them. I want to be brave, but I am afraid instead. I want to be selfless, but instead I am selfish. The disciples encourage me, for I sometimes think, "If Jesus could use them, he could use anybody. Even me. Even you.

“Lord, thank you for your compassion toward your enemies and your friends. Thank you that you did not give up on your disciples. Thank you that you do not give up on me. Thank you for laying down your life for me. Help me to lay down my life for you today.”